Wednesday, November 6, 2013

(5.5) Million Dollar Listing



My better half and I made a recent excursion to Glen Cove on Long Island to see a designer showcase, called "Home is Where the Heart Is". This Gold Coast mansion, built in 1890 by Charles Pratt (who founded Standard Oil with John D. Rockefeller In 1874) was a wedding present from Pratt to his daughter Lydia. (John D Rockefeller is one of my village's most significant residents having at one time controlled most of the available land. You can find my post about my visit to his property Kykuit here.)






It was your usual extravaganza of designer bells and whistles including a lot of great light fixtures. It was fun to take it all in and see how much (and how little) we simpler folk have in common with the 1%. 

No comments:

Post a Comment