Thursday, February 12, 2015

According to Strict Mathematical Principles


I am fortunate to cross paths with a wide range of individuals and along the way I recently helped a neighbor edit her household possessions in light of an impending move. Emptying the kitchen cupboards to explore what should be packed, given to relatives, donated or possibly resold I came upon a very unique serving item decorated with all sorts of lines, arrows, letters and numbers along with the words "Col. D. S. Bradley Patent Cake Divider" also known as a plat diviseur. She had no recollection how this plate came in to her possession.

A plat diviseur is designed for cutting cake, pie, etc. so that a varying number of people can get equal slices. So for those of us who are intent on treating our others similarly, this could be an ideal solution. I have yet to figure out who exactly was Col. D. S. Bradley. Hopefully he (or she) does indeed exist fictionally or actually. The jury is out on that one.






8 comments:

  1. Nice plate! Probably invented by some OCD cake eater.......... but fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plate! Probably invented by some OCD cake eater.......... but fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comment! I appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the designer of these, very clever guy, he used to be a neighbour of mine. Only a few hundred were produced so likely to become very collectable. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that unique piece of information. Always fun to learn the back story!!

      Delete
  5. Indeed Andrew Findlay did produce some very fine intricate metal work from my father's designs. My father designed the plate in the 1980's and I decided to produce them around 2001, under the trading name Bad Dog Trading, Wales, U.K. It was possibly purchased from Old Durham Road, New Jersey. We had another Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table design and a fantastic Dancing Mice cheese plate. Colonel D.S Bradley was an Irish ancestor of my father's business partner. I still have a quite a few in storage. Very pleased you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom- thanks so much for your informative comment and glad to get to the source and learn the story. Your father's designs are lovely. I remember seeing the Dancing Mice cheese plate and finding it enchanting. All my best to you!

      Delete
  6. I actually have one of these in my possession that I picked up in a charity shop for £5. Does anyone know what they are valued at? Cant seem to find anything out online, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete