Saturday, June 18, 2011

Old Money





Sometimes opportunities pop up to photograph truly unique places. Recently, while covering the opening day of our local farmers' market for the Patch, I met a young guy who had his own very nice camera around his neck. We chatted and I learned that he worked for Historic Hudson, a non profit that manages and promotes some architectural gems along the river. I mentioned that I had always wanted to document the gardens of Kykuit as they were created by William Welles Bosworth when the house was built by John D. Rockefeller in the early 1900's. My editor at the Patch was all for the idea and yesterday my new friend and I spent the afternoon roaming the grounds in an effort to capture the many amazing features of the estate. Nothing like having an incredible piece of property, huge reserves of cash, the smarts to hire a world class landscape architect to realize your vision and then 100 years to cultivate and maintain the design. This time I only had to drive 3 miles to enter a realm of visual splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment