Friday, August 8, 2014

My Life in Used Goods (lately)

I had a long stretch of not thrifting, wasn't even tempted- so intent on de-cluttering here. But then I succumbed at a group tag sale my sister-in-law Bonnie (and wife to Frank)  organized at their home. Joined by Bonnie's cousin Ilene and her husband Paul (and their neat stuff to sell) and Bonnie's friend Terri's array of  jewelry, it was well staged sale. Attendance wasn't steller but things left and smiles were exchanged.  Mutual swaps and purchases were made among us and I got a vintage brass door knocker, Tarot cards and silver earrings and was made the possessor of a new metal table (as in "Take it out if here, please! It will fit in your car"). It was fun to spend time with all of them and I think I left with less stuff!

This morning my daughter Sarah and I made our way to a popular church sale in Irvington, NY held in the fall.  I always see people I know and there are many rooms with all sorts of gems. I gathered up a lamp, a few choice art books. a pencil box and a pair of porcelain roosters. Sarah got a great black dress and black Ralph Lauren sweater.

For full disclosure I bought a light fixture to swap out in the house, there was a stop at the Goodwill on 9A where I found a globe for a favorite lamp that has needed globe since I bought it 25 years ago. It looks so much happier now!

This part of the that curates and collects is seamless activity that yields all kinds of meaning and a life of speculation and discovery and excitement among the cast-offs of others. Life in the second-hand lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment