Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Mulling

(This was originally written in 2014 and saved in drafts. Wanted to share.)

I've been trying to steer clear of tag sales and thrifting but I succumbed to the lure of a few recent sales
(one of which was held at the same house I wrote about here) and $16 later acquired some interesting items.

If you don't find things like china interesting, you can't stop here.  I had one of those rescue pangs when I looked at the box of Susie Cooper china (marked $6) and knew I had to bring it home. Add in the 4 Christmas dishes at .25 each and I was once again in the thrall of a small piece of history, far from the place and time when it was manufactured. I also found a great throw made in Norway ($5) and a beat-up copy of The Family of Man for $1 (no reason to say anything else). Making one last pass of the garage I saw an ottoman and thought it possibly by Eames for which I bargained to $3 from $5 (because it seemed worth trying due to its present condition battered condition ). 

At these times, the chance to meander and observe the remains, remnants and discards of another's is a uniquely fascinating activity all its own and I'll leave it at that.


No comments:

Post a Comment