Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Philadelphus lewisii



It's an exquisite June morning when doing anything but soaking up the sunlight and fresh air seems like a huge folly. Summer looms ahead with the promise of lazy possibilities. No homework, essays or clothing emergencies. Years back, when we filled the lowest tier of our yard I discovered a golden triangle of space and knew I could finally grow lilacs. I also craved other scents and planted a mock orange in a spot where I thought it might thrive. It didn't bloom its second year- but this year I fertilized and pruned the tree growing above it so it could leap more easily and now it's a sight to behold and smells amazing. When all else fails, gardening can provide a sense of satisfaction. Easy to share and easy to enjoy (no noticing the weeds please!)- and I am grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this fabulous LEAD. Your aspiring gardener / friend...Kathy

    ReplyDelete