Thursday, March 7, 2013

From the mouths of babes


When you are a photographer, for whatever reason, you are often thinking about the next image you want to take. Even if you have no idea what that will be, it hovers there, in some kind of tantalizing fashion. It's as though the yet to be created will be that much better realized than any thing you have ever photographed before. One of my daughters, eyeing the binders of negatives, the flat files of prints, and the albums of photo c.d.'s suggested that I probably didn't need to take any more photos- I might have generated enough photographs to occupy me for the rest of my life. It was a kind of unsettling comment, because most of my life I have been paid to create images for others- to create what does not exist but is needed in some tangible visible form. So, in the spirit of entertaining her insight, I've been looking backwards some instead of hurtling myself onward with a camera in hand. My present, past and future are woven in some kind of simultaneous cross section of existence, mapping a different kind of exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment