Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Every Object tells a Story


With my eldest off on her adventure, the house is a lot quieter and my ability to concentrate returns.
Something about the kids, the pets, the coming and going that makes it hard for me to buckle down.
I've got a few resolutions of my own these days, including simplifying our world and selling 100 objects on Ebay. In the course of getting my odd collectibles listed, I get to research each item before I write its description. This cocktail pitcher, while unmarked, bears the design hallmarks (especially her spout and handle style) of Dorothy Thorpe, a designer who worked in the 1930's-1950's and is very popular with those who love mid-century. What's unique about this piece is the bamboo style ribbing in the glass that makes it so contemporary and retro at the same time. When I was a child, I thought that everything, animate and inanimate had feelings. I used to apologize to the clothes that I didn't wear, as I believed they felt neglected. Looking back, I see that my sensitivity to "the thingness of things" was a useful attribute when it came to creating images and imbuing ordinary moments and objects with emotional traits. Keeps life interesting for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment