Friday, January 27, 2012

Sting

Years ago, I entered in to a professional and creative relationship with a friend, someone I had met as an undergrad. I was coming out of graduate school and it was a perfect fit. She and her good friend and neighbor developed an interesting product, an accessory that subsequently over time, became a true success. So successful that at the 10 year mark they sold the business and profited well. It's a great business story. I acted as the photographer of the brand and in the beginning created all the packaging as well so I had a unique relationship to the brand's success. It was a lot of fun to create something that became a global entity from nothing. The only downside was that the friend from college had a very mean streak in her. She could be curt, undermining and demeaning in her tone and remarks. So much that I still remember the devastating pain of her mean words. I would like to leave it in the past where it resides as we haven't had any contact for years. It's just odd to me how the injuries don't go away as there is no healing. It's more about moving on and away from it at every opportunity. I know now that the best move when I become the focus of an unwarranted display of hostility is to stay unengaged and plan my exit strategy.

I just started an indesign class. Sitting next to the instructor, I noticed her tote bad was made by my friend's current company. No wonder I am thinking about her. Too close for comfort!

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately success doesn't necessarily make people kinder or more generous. Sometimes it even reinforces their worst qualities, and since psychological attacks are more like a cancer than a cut.... people who function that way can be toxic. Having first hand knowledge of this history, I can only say that those personal attacks did not reflect the reality of your talent and contribution. You deserved better....and you've accomplished so much since then, that I'm glad you can "move on". Interesting that your Fruedian slip was tote BAD. :)

    ReplyDelete