Saturday, August 21, 2010

Parenthood 201

Nora took Jacob out to dinner. It's all reminiscent of family life in Cleveland Heights when I would go out and about with friends. It never occurred to me to wonder what my folks were doing, if anything, at home. It's a curious aspect of coming of age- you need your parents and when you arrive at that curve of growing up- you don't really need them anymore. Or so you think. My eldest child is quite mature. Especially in her own mind. I would love to feel close to her again and usually feel an odd distance around her- as though she is tolerating my presence. So, a lot of wistfulness these days. I definitely need to move beyond this and to the next chapter. When you wait like I did to become a mother, you are not exactly prepared for feeling unnecessary overnight. Welcome to Parenthood 201. Time to hunt for a study guide to this phase, if one exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment