Friday, September 25, 2015

Small Things Enjoyed at Home

  
Every spring we plant a vegetable garden in a bed by our driveway that gets tons of sun. We do the usual tomatoes and this year my daughter contributed some orange cherry tomatoes with a great sharp taste. A volunteer plant appeared growing on a neglected trellis and its bounty so far has allowed two delicious sandwiches made in my father's tradition (and using the only available bread in our kitchen.)


Nearby friends were overwhelmed with pears and brought us some. They ripened slowly to the point where making a pie seemed like the best thing to do and we enjoyed it down to the last crumb. (and thank you Pillsbury refrigerated crust for simplifying my life.)

 

John Boehner resigned today, the Pope is in New York, President Obama is dining tonight with the Chinese President Xi Jinping in Washington and I am editing images of mundane activities pursued quietly in my kitchen. Sometimes, when too many concerns crowd my thoughts- cooking affords a pleasurable escape from all the doings of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment