Thursday, August 4, 2011

A recommendation from Sleepy Hollow


I've been going down the rabbit hole some this week. Wandering the web by jumping links and finding more distraction than anyone could ever require in the process. Through reading readers' reviews on Amazon I ordered some titles from the library. One novel in particular totally captured my imagination. The writing was just amazing as the author, Jonathan Dee, can really turn a phrase. Now I will have to read his other novels and that prospect gives me a certain happy anticipation all its own. The book I read, The Privileges, describes people I have known and photographed and while their lives aren't utterly perfect- he writes about them in such a way that envy rises easily. Good looking people who marry, and have good looking children could be a predictable subject but in his hands you savor every page. Just a recommendation to share on a very beautiful summer's day.

And here's a quote that's been circulating in my head...page 246...."I'll tell you my thoughts about the past....It's like a safe deposit box: getting all dressed up and going downtown and having a look in there isn't going to change what's in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment