Friday, August 19, 2011

Female bonding





Jacob is away at camp and tomorrow Sarah heads out to her camp and before she gets back, Nora will be off to college so I thought, what the heck, let's go on a road trip for a few days, just we three. A relative is recovering from knee surgery in Boston so that was our first stop. I spent the afternoon visiting at their home in Melrose while my daughters got to explore Cambridge. The next day we made a quick stop to wander Beacon Hill and shop a consignment store. Always a favorite activity for one and all and then off to the beach in Rhode Island where we soaked up the sun and enjoyed the waves. As it is no longer our usual routine to spend this kind of time together, I was happy just to be in their company. I don't recall spending much time with my mother for all sorts of reasons much less going anywhere requiring travel alone with her. She wasn't that kind of mom. The past few years have been very hard ones for me but I hope someday they will have mostly happy memories of a parent who loved them dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment