Thursday, August 11, 2011

Does anyone else feel this way?

As we approach mid-August the exhaustion and tedium have really set in. The forces of nature represented by the teens with whom I reside have taken their toll. From afar, I enjoy them. Appreciate them. Respect them. But up close, the squalor of their rooms, indifference to any one but themselves (or their friends) and the crazy vampire-like sleeping habits make me look forward to Labor Day and their going back to school with anxious anticipation. There isn't much they are willing to do upon demand. Thank goodness for the greater authority figures of their lives- others whose expectations shape and sharpen their attention. For the most part, in the daily contest of life here in Sleepy Hollow, I am out of my depths.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me think of the Staples commercial when the parents are jumping up and down buying school supplies.....you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete