Tuesday, September 2, 2014

For Sally (1914-1993)


In everyone's life, certain dates resonate as the years roll by, with birthdays and anniversaries often ruling supreme. Today is special for me because 100 years ago on September 2nd my mother Sally was born. She passed away over 20 years ago yet there isn't a September 2nd that thoughts of her don't absorb my attention as my heart mourns her loss. Sally was a spirited young woman, a loving wife, a unique kind of mother to her five offspring and a devoted friend to those who knew her well. She didn't excel at being meek or mild mannered, she didn't suffer fools and her pithy observations about life were often so well crafted that her insights were legendary. So much has happened to me since she passed away. I found a partner, had a family, established a home and grew my career and I think that what I have managed to achieve would have given her tremendous pleasure. It is with a lot of sadness that I commemorate this landmark event in her life and would be thrilled if on this day she was still among us. I would bake her a special cake, tell her some choice anecdotes to make her smile, and remind her of happy times we all shared.

So, Mom, Happy 100!! I love and appreciate you dearly and hope you know that wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment