Monday, March 26, 2012

That Woman


I suppose from time to time I have been considered "that woman"- although my transgressions were mostly of the milder variety. ("That woman" is taking pictures. "That woman" lets her children ...) so I am aware of the taint of ignominy. But after finishing the recently published biography of Wallis Simpson by Anne Sebba, I felt a renewed sadness for the price these two people paid to be together. Reading about their routines engaged by superficial activities while wearing beautiful clothes and important jewels I felt no envy whatsoever. It was noted that at the Duchess of Windsor's funeral most of those in attendance constituted her personal service bureau of assistant, nurse, florist, lawyer and couturier. Apparently neither money nor the public's fascination ever brought the Duke and Duchess the contentment they craved. It must have taken a unique toll to maintain the pretense that life in exile was the best thing that ever happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment