Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Pitching to Real Moms, the Ones Who Aren’t Perfect"

Well, that was an intriguing article on my laptop courtesy of the digital version of the NYTimes. (less paper, less clutter, less agita over all the articles I should read- but I digress.) The Mom Complex is a marketing division of the Martin Agency in Richmond, Va. recently created by Katherine Wintsch who saw the need to market to real moms and not the ad mom ideal (casting an articulate attractive woman whose clothes always match her environment as well as her children's.) You can't really stage the kind of domestic chaos that often passes as our normal. You know, clothes never put away ("after my show is over"), beds rarely straightened ("I am only going to get back in to later") and dirty dishes resting comfortably everywhere. ("Mom! I forgot! Chill!!!") That's when I want to leaf a magazine, any magazine, and savor those images of more perfect worlds where people (i.e. kids) faithfully maintain their obligations, the bathroom, their hygiene and their love of mother. Even the imperfect ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment