Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pondering the Universal

With only two kids around and cooler temperatures my ability to concentrate has risen exponentially. I took Nora on what I hope was the last of our major shopping expeditions yesterday and while she is not heading off to the North Pole for 6 months, she is as prepared as I can muster and afford for this next chapter in her life. I try to sneak in little tidbits of advice which she makes every effort to ignore like "Nora, have fun at school and study hard. Remember to try to avoid drugs and keep the drinking to a safe minimum." Oh yeah, she is really interested in anything I have to say. (Not.) But she genuinely smiled as she picked out the melamine plates and bowls and a decent flatware service for four for her future entertaining needs. (She wisely suggested that I probably don't want her to take any of my nice china plates.) All our yard sale finds are dovetailing nicely together and she found a great little vintage table on the street (yes, she is clearly my child) to use beside her bed. Needless to say, the house will be different without her. Mostly, I want her to be happy, succeed and find her way. Just like every other parent sending their child off in to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment