Thursday, August 19, 2010

The New Driver

                                           

So, another milestone has come to pass. I took Nora to take her road test for her driver's license and she passed on her first try- so my first born is now free to wander the roads behind the wheel of a car. It is amazing how obsolete you can feel as a parent when your kids spread their wings. At the pool, watching the toddlers run from the water to their mothers' laps made me a little wistful for how necessary I once felt and feel no longer. Everything they say is true- how it flies by and all that. It's the constant adjusting of self that parenthood requires. Once upon a time my children would perish were it not for my direct support of their existence. Now, as their advisor I am required on an as needed basis. The challenge then is to embark on the chapter that awaits me next. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it's so strange to go from caretaker to consultant...and yes the constant adjusting of ourselves is a challenge, but also gratifying at the same time as we watch them become adults!

    ReplyDelete