Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Primrose Joy





















    














It's been a strange few days. I decided to try to apply for food stamps and spent more than a few hours in White Plains navigating lines, forms and personnel. I had a very nice caseworker who patiently explained to me that as we have a home equity line which I have been tapping into- we are not eligible for aid. Amazing how you need to be beyond destitute and ultimately unstable to get any help. Seeing the range of humanity was startling. I had a meeting at Mariani's Greenhouse yesterday about my photographs. They were charmed by my images and discussion followed by how we might work together. I was dazed by the contrasts of White Plains, to attacking our bathroom tile with James, to my visit to the most exquisite nursery in Armonk that I have ever seen. (Sort of if Bergdorf Goodman sold plants with home goods mixed in.)  Life full of diverse experiences. I left my second trip to social services in White Plains today mystified and discouraged by the bureaucracy of modern life. Decided to fill our emptying cupboards with crackers, pasta, canned treats and bought lots of fruits to tempt the kids. My big splurge was a primrose on sale for $1.66. Repotted into an Italian flower pot I bought during more flush days at the gift shop at Viscaya in Florida. (The reminders of past affluence.) While James used the tile saw to work on our bathroom and I held the light to illuminate the precise cutting required we missed a few calls. My caseworker from White Plains left a message that she is trying to figure out how to help us and that I need to come back tomorrow. I'm grateful for her interest in our circumstances and wonder what will happen next. These are certainly strange times.

No comments:

Post a Comment