Sunday, January 3, 2010

Overrated?

A cold Sunday and the last day of Christmas vacation. I had a spat with my daughter Sarah today and she stomped out of the room after declaring "I hate you." Sometimes the effort of keeping them going seems like a questionable investment of my time. On a certain level, her ability to share her thoughts unedited amazes me. I had many difficult feelings towards my mother, but I don't recall ever expressing them out loud. I was too intimidated by her  to ever feel that emboldened by my emotions to tell her what I really thought. So I am sad, weary and hoping that the transition back to our school routine isn't too rocky. My children are no longer babies, we don't live in Kansas, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I have serious doubts that motherhood is a very worthwhile endeavor. Once, as a young adult, I asked my mom what she thought of motherhood. "Overrated", she replied.

1 comment:

  1. "My children are no longer babies, we don't live in Kansas, and as much as I don't want to admit it, I have serious doubts that motherhood is a very worthwhile endeavor. Once, as young adult, I asked my mom what she thought of motherhood. "Overrated", she replied."

    I love this! So true, and so hard to admit. :D

    ReplyDelete